In addition to just serving as a “blog,” I want to use this space to curate some of the images, videos, and links used in class for specific weather events.
The tornadoes of April 9 in Illinois (and elsewhere) are a good starting point. Don’t hesitate to offer additions or corrections. Each list like this will probably be updated at random times in the future. Almost all these will be linked from source–I’ll provide acknowledgments for any that aren’t.
- Birth of the tornado: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPRHvOEgumI&feature=youtu.be
- Tornado filmed from the porch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=didkQXhjeVQ
- Rochelle tornado emerging from behind a stand of trees (w/ sirens): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsXhaTfvMhs
- HD view (first half of video is best): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiR7pqLWbto
- One of the better ones. 5:45 long. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtH3jKdTGZE
- Aerial image of toroidal ground scarring: http://t.co/lNPfC9ldi6
- Photos showing the tornadoe’s transition from thin tube to elephant trunk. No time frame. https://twitter.com/VORTEXJeff/status/586679077223948288
- Chicago Tribune’s superb collection of photos
- TWC’s exhaustive collection of photos http://www.weather.com/storms/severe/news/severe-storm-outbreak-impacts-midwest
Data, other items, etc.
- SPC outlooks: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/archive/2015/day1otlk_20150409_1300.html
- SPC storm reports: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/150409_rpts.html
- Radar, 1 hour apart: https://twitter.com/wxbrad/status/586523079137824770
- ILX Skew-T from 10/00Z: http://www.codykirkpatrick.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/CCMXZkMUAAARuyv.jpg